Thursday, October 6, 2011

Day 6: I finished!

I could do nothing else the rest of the day and still feel like today was a success. My kitchen's still mostly clean (a little clutter to put away and I'll feel happy with it), my dining room table is cleared of dishes, and the chair is finally done!  Hooray!  I wish I had a decent before picture. Apparently, I only thought construction was important because I needed to put it back together. I didn't think to take a picture of the overall before. Bad blogger, I know! (If you want an idea of what it looked like before, check out this post. Picture the fabric being more yellow than orange, and you have my chair!)  I have two strips of trim on each side of the back because my fabric came out further on one side than the other and it didn't look great, but overall, I think I did a pretty good job of fudging it. There's also trim around the arms because it used to have caning in it, but the caning had a hole in it, and I didn't want to pay even more to replace that.  So here's some pictures! (For the befores, picture 70's gold and DARK brown wood.)

I'm trying to think how much I actually spent on it. I got new plywood for the seat (the old plywood had a hole cut in the middle and rebar to support it! Scary!), new foam for the seat and back and the nailhead trim. So the estimation for the price goes as follows:
Chair: FREE from my mother-in-law!
Foam for cushions: $16 (I have a GREAT little fabric shop that was SO helpful!)
Fabric for cushions: FREE from my grandmother!
Plywood: $11 (which my husband convinced me to go for the thicker stuff so it would last longer...good choice with three little boys!)
Nailhead trim: $28 ($8 of that was just shipping! Ouch! But I still have about half the roll, so I can still use some more.)
Paint: Rustoleum Heirloom White that I had from another project that I never finished, so I'm not counting it. The primer was also left over from another project, so I'm calling paint FREE!
Total: $55 
Not quite as good as I had hoped going into it, but still REALLY good for a brand new (to me) chair. I feel like I learned a lot. (Oh, by the way, I didn't count the cost of the staple gun in that total because I'll use it for so many other projects and I LOVE it! And the staples were the same size as what we're using downstairs on the insulation, so I just counted those as basement staples.)  I'm so excited with how it turned out and I'm WAY excited to have more NICE seats at our house! Hopefully it'll stay that way for a while! ;)


Post a Comment